Saturday, May 16, 2009

Repair or replace?

The last few months have brought me more clients than ever before looking to repair their clothing or other items-no doubt a symptom of the financially stressed times many of us are going through right now.

I try to give my customers sensible advice on this subject because I do not want them to spend good money on something that's best thrown out. Therefore I tell them this: if it's a treasured piece of clothing that was very expensive initially, or if it's that great item that goes with everything and is his or her favorite, or if it's a priceless family heirloom, by all means let's repair it, regardless of the cost.

But if it's your kid's old play jeans, or the T-shirt that you bought at a concert in 1972 and that now has twentytwo holes in it, or your husband's slacks that you can read a newspaper through they're that worn, forget it! You can replace all of these items (well, maybe not the T-shirt), for very little money at your local thrift shop or for just a bit more during the annual blow-out sale at a department store. So, when I get one of these hopeless cases, my client and I take it out to the parking lot where we set the cherished item on fire.....

Just kidding. But you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment